18 June 2009

You're going back to school for what now?

Masters of Science in Accounting.

Lots of people have been asking about it, so I thought I'd write a bit about it. Yes, I'm going back to school to get a degree in accounting. Yes, I already have a graduate degree in social work, perhaps the 180 degree opposite of accounting. Sometimes I think I'm a bit nuts. Sometimes, when I say it, I feel like I have to hang my head in shame, like I'm some sort of traitor or defector. My favorite grad school professor wrote me a recommendation, and when I first asked him to do it, he told me he'd be happy to write a rec for a job in social work, but that he didn't think he was the right person to write this. (I talked him into writing it, since they ask for my aptitude for graduate study in general and not accounting or business specifically.)


It started in April, when I was working on our taxes. Now granted, I was just entering numbers into TurboTax, not really doing any real accounting. But two things occurred to me while I was doing it. First, I really liked working with those numbers. My jobs since getting my MSW have been all about working with people. (Well, duh.) I think I'm a little burned out on people. I realize that there will be people involved in an accounting career, but I like the idea of focusing on those numbers. In addition, I've done some accounting and financial management for the EMA Fund, so I have a little bit of an idea of what I might be in for. And I'm not a clinical social worker. I concentrated in management and community practice. So I've never been interested in being a therapist.


The second thing that occurred to me while I was working on our taxes was that I really need to earn more money. Don't get me wrong - I'm eight years past my masters degree, and I earn plenty of money. For someone who lives, well, pretty much anywhere other than Boston. But childcare for two kids is eating up my entire salary (and it would even if I were working full-time – remember, full-time work requires full-time childcare). Once Jonah starts preschool in the fall, it will eat up more than my entire salary. We can swing it, but it would be nice to minimize that financial hit by creating opportunities for higher earnings in the future.


I don't want to be a CPA, so don't start signing up to have me do your taxes. Instead, I'd like to be a private accountant, keeping track of some company's money. Down the road, if the day comes that we can manage with me making a lower salary, I'd love to work for a nonprofit again. In the meantime, though, perhaps I can do some pro bono accounting work to fill my need to repair the world. (EMA is first on my list, of course!)


To write this blog post, I did a google search on "What is accounting?" The first definition I found read:

Quite simply, accounting is a language: a language that provides information about the financial position of an organization. When you study accounting you are essentially learning this specialized language. By learning this language you can communicate and understand the financial operations of any and all types of organizations.
(Source: http://www.moneyinstructor.com/lesson/accountingintro.asp)
I've always been good at languages. And also math. I almost majored in math. So you can see why this field might be appealing to me. I like how accounting is so...concrete.

So, assuming I get in, I'll be enrolling at UMass Boston in January 2010. (Here's a bonus - since I used to teach GMAT courses for The Princeton Review, I've already taken--and aced--the GMAT.) UMB has a fabulous program. They're really geared toward working students, so I'll be able to continue to work part-time while taking classes at night. I think I can swing two courses per semester (and two in the summer), so I'll be done in about 2 1/2 years. Just in time to stop paying for childcare for two kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, social work will be sad to lose you, but we'll always claim you as one of our own. Good luck, and maybe we can be school buddies together when you start... - Carla

Unknown said...

As much as I may snark, I think it's a great idea. You are great with numbers and I definitely understand the need/desire to be making more money. I'm glad you will have the opportunity to do so!

Stephanie said...

I understand this completely. Once I had kids, I wanted to devote all of my "people" skills to them. There just wasn't enough of me to go around! So I changed jobs in order to work with data rather than people, and it is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Good luck to you!

Mike said...

Great post and I couldn't agree more (with you and with several commenters) -- kids change everything!
Your post reminded me a little of a story Kellie sent us, about how her entire outlook - financial, spiritual, emotional - changed when her daughter was born.
I hope you enjoy it:
ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/1570

Thanks and have a great day.
-Mike
mike@ahamoment.com